Firing a contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestpost

I had my roof replaced on 6-12-12. I was contacted approx. one month after completion and asked if I was satisfied to which I replied no. I listed the things that were not completed and was assured that someone would be out to fix the problems. Approx. one month after that I was contacted by the companies collection department demanding that I pay my balance. It has been over 5 months since this project started and quite simply had they done the work by contract the first time I wouldn't have any disagreements. Only after reporting them to the BBB did I recieve any positive action to fix the problem. They have since cancelled their initial date in which they were going to complete the project. They tried to set up another date and I said no because I wouldn't be at home. The conversation went south at this point. We began to argue over money and, because I had had enough, I fired them. Just need to know where I stand from a legal perspective.

I had my roof replaced on 6-12-12. I was contacted approx. one month after completion and asked if I was satisfied to which I replied no. I listed the things that were not completed and was assured that someone would be out to fix the problems. Approx. one month after that I was contacted by the companies collection department demanding that I pay my balance. It has been over 5 months since this project started and quite simply had they done the work by contract the first time I wouldn't have any disagreements. Only after reporting them to the BBB did I recieve any positive action to fix the problem. They have since cancelled their initial date in which they were going to complete the project. They tried to set up another date and I said no because I wouldn't be at home. The conversation went south at this point. We began to argue over money and, because I had had enough, I fired them. Just need to know where I stand from a legal perspective.

You cut your own throat by firing the contractor.

I suspect they will soon place a contractors/mechanics lien against your deed.

You might wish to discuss your options with a local attorney or two.

The initial consultation is often free of charge.

A local attorney can advise you what rights you might have left and how to protect yourself.

You don't have the option to "fire" them. You will likely be sued for the balance owed. At that time you can present evidence of what they failed to do and any costs you may have paid to remedy their errors. They will likely respond by claiming they wanted to make the issue right, however you banned them from the property. A judge will decide.

OR

You will pay another company to complete the issues and if in excess of the balance due the first company, sue them in court for the difference. Again the judge will listen and decide who to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back