Firestone locked up my engine

KeLove

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I took my 1997 ford crown Victoria to Firestone due to my car not starting it has been happening for six days.I hadn't taken it to the shop due to waiting to paid to have it towed there.I had took it to get the battery and starter checked by a machine to see if something was wrong with it and it came back clear. Firestone gets the car runs it tests calls me says it's the starter and the battery and I need a oil change. I give them permission to fix it I get a call back the next day to say that they had put the parts in the car tried to crank it up and it didn't start so they tried to manually start it from the engine and it locked up. Then they told me they wanted to take the new parts off my car and I'd have to buy a new engine or replace the vehicle. Now this all happened on Saturday it's now Sunday and I went back up there to just get the keys to my car and the manger is who I've been dealing with this whole time admits they only checked my starter and battery didn't think to check the engine until it was locked and that they'll just "eat the cost of the starter and battery" so what do I do about getting my engine fixed and having them pay for it.

You will have to get proof that Firestone damaged the engine. That means taking it to another mechanic and having that person look at the vehicle. But since it's a 22 year old car, I doubt that anyone is going to find that the Firestone mechanics damaged the engine. I'd suggest time and effort be placed into finding another vehicle.

You are going to have great difficulty proving Firestone is responsible. Your car was already having trouble and they aren't going to be responsible for not identifying the problem fast enough. The approach they took was standard and reasonable. You are going to have to prove they did something wrong and that is not likely.
You probably do not need a new engine, but may need a costly rebuild.
I agree that your next step is to have another qualified mechanic inspect the vehicle.

Back