Fired for Misconduct - Preparing for appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

madingeorgia

I was employed for 15 months with a company operated out of Montana as a teleworking customer service rep. (NOTE: I am in GEORGIA) I received 2 satisfactory 6-month reviews, and when the company downsized the division I was working in November 2009, I received a letter of employment to go to another division. I accepted the offer. The work and programs used was significantly different from the other position I held. I had asked for additional training on a procedure, but was ignored because the call volume was too busy. The company had 3 opportunities to train me on the procedure but didn't.

On February 10, 2010, my incapacity to do the procedure caused me to disconnect a customer unintentionally. It was a mistake, however the call was being monitered and a manager said I did it intentionally and gave me a 5-day suspension. I was shocked because the employment handbook states that for a first time occurance for a mistake, I should get a verbal warning, then a written notice, then a 5-day suspension, then termination.

I asked for documention of the suspension for my records and was refused. I was locked out of my company email to print out the documents where I asked for additional training on the procedure.

I sent an email to Human Resources asking them for documentation for the 5 day suspension because I didn't trust them anymore and I didn't want them to say I abandoned my job because the company has a strict attendence policy. Shortly after I sent my email requestion documentation for the suspension--I was terminated for misconduct. Yeah right! My termination was because I sent an email asking for documentation for a 5 day suspension and not because of my mistake.

Heres the initial ruling was as told GA Dept of Labor:
Your employer terminated you because you because you engaged in inappropriate conduct by releasing customer telephone calls.

Thats bogus! It was one time and an accident! I'm already preparing for my appeal now.The reason for my termination was not my performance or that single incident, it was for the email that I sent. The actions of the supervisor also went against the employee handbook. Are they any recommendations for a line of attack? They have no documentation to support their allegations. Thanks everyone in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back