Fired after calling HR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebrock123

After a year of managing the housekeeping department of a hotel my boss started treating me differently.After putting up with it for a few months I called human resources to get advice and turned him in for un fair treatment.I told human resources I feel I never got the proper training to do the job or adequate tools and asked for help. I also asked my boss for help. I wanted to go to another hotel and work with their executive housekeeper to gain a better understanding of my position. I was told I could once we slowed down. Shortly afterthe HR call my Boss was put on an action plan. He let me go for a made up reason. Let me tell you that every policy and procedure I learned on this job I learned by calling other executive housekeepers with the company. What he fired me for was written in any manual for me to violate. On top of that the offending offense was sitting on his desk waiting for his approval. After being out for a week on medical and my father passing away I come back to find I no longer have my job. I feel I was let go out of retaliation for calling Human resources. I need to know if this reason he pulled out of the sky would hold up in court if a choose to go.

Last edited:
Where it does appear you were fired out of revenge this may be hard to prove. By your own admission you lacked training (skills) to do your job. This "suggests" you were not living up to expectations. Again this by your own admission here. You are certainly free to consult an Attorney over your case but I fear it will be an uphill battle

I know I lacked training but it was never offered. Only after calling HR after a year of service did i learn I could go work with another for training. Every evaluation we had was great. Thats a direct result of me doing my job. The high praises in the first year, employee satisfaction scores, I got my bonus. Then this. If I wasn't doing my job why would he wait till after a year to let me go?

Check out the Department of Labors web site for your state. They should have all the forms you need, explain the laws. You may have something.

I was fired myself back in Nov. The company I was working for, decided that if they were going to pay overtime, they would cut our hourly rate to make up for it.

In my case, they cut my pay by $145/day, never told me, and when I caught it, fired me. The department of Labor as well as the IRS have been very helpfull. (They refused to with hold taxes as well).

Can you describe further what you mean by treating you differently, and why you think, if you had to guess he did so? It makes a difference what I suggest.

What I mean by treating me differently is He started giving me tasks to complete that were never part of my work load and always on someone else's, never having the time to speak with me when I had a concern and telling me my concern wasn't important at this time, stopping conversations with other managers when I was present, not allowing me to make a doctors appointment because he had plans to go out of town. Before this it was " great job, and you and your team are doing phenomenal." Things of that nature.

The company sold and a new management company was taking over. GM's were under allot of pressure. I think he was trying too hard to impress them and I seemed the easy target. There was also an employee Christmas party. He got drunk, acted out, and wanted me to reprimand on of my associates for doing the same. I refused stating that how can I come down on her when other at that party were edging her on. He asked if I was referring to him. I said yes. That sell and Christmas party took place around the same time. Those are my only guesses.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, these are not illegal reasons and your termination falls into the unfair but not illegal category.

People are allowed to be jerks. So far there is no law legislating jerkdom to be illegal.

Earlier in your thread you referred to retaliation. I'm assuming you mean he is retaliating because of your refusal to reprimand the other associates.

However, retaliation is only illegal when you report ILLEGAL behavior to the appropriate regulatory agency. (In some states, reporting illegal behavior further up the corporate ladder is also protected.) However, asking you to reprimand the associates was not illegal, even if you thought it was inappropriate. In fact, refusing to follow his order, since what he asked you to do was legal, can be considered insubordination. I'm not saying he was right to ask you to do it under the circumstances, but it was not illegal.

Since nothing he did was illegal, retaliating against you for your refusal is also not illegal.

can you explain why that is

IT won't be explained by any law. I strongly recomend you go to your states department of labor web site, and start filling out forms. They will make the determination of what needs to be done. It would be in your best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back