finding driver information

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenobisan

New issue:

The neighbor in my apartment complex has severely damaged my vehicle with hers. This isn't due to operational error, but due to cumalative door dings.

I have her license number, but her plate is out of state(NV). I can obtain her address as listed on her driver license out of state, but since she resides in CA, in my complex, I am not sure how to obtain this information. The apartment complex, of course, will not release her personal information for liability reasons.

What should I do to obtain her current mailing address for my small claims filing?

Very good question. The easiest way is to see if you can locate her in the telephone book or online. Others have been known to sit in wait or ask neighbors in roundabout ways where someone may live. A friendly doorman could always help. You can always file a claim with the general address of the complex (e.g. the main office) and then have the court provide you with an information subpoena to serve the apartment complex and obtain the information that way. You should follow up with an address correction and a copy of the summons filed with the court to be sent to the defendant. Send it certified mail return receipt requested. Ask the court clerk about this matter and you might find that they are quite helpful.

As an attorney, some other remedies are available, typically the lawyer's letter to the complex or filing suit and then an information subpoena sent out immediately to the complex.

Hope it helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back