Finding a Law School

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhlawstudent

I am currently pursuing my BS of Legal Studies at Kaplan University Online. I want to go to Law School after I get my BS but Kaplans Concord Law School only lets you take the California Bar Exam. What Law Schools could I qualify for that would permit me to take the Ohio Bar Exam?

Do a little googling about Kaplan and you will find many gripes about people feeling misled about the school being accredited. Kaplan is nationally accredited, however it offers courses that are not accepted by many programs. There is a difference between being nationally accredited and regionally accredited. in short, Kaplan has a lower standard that many schools will not recognize.

From what I can tell you won't find an online law school in Ohio. You should take whatever documentation you have of the individual courses you took at Kaplan and visit an admissions counselor at any locally convenient law school to see where you stand.

you might find it much more financially feasible to uproot yourself from Ohio and find a school in another state that will allow you to proceed without repeating courses.

I would spend alot of time on the phone as you are likely going to find your degree makes you eligible for few if any law schools.

It is best to go to an ABA school at least in my opinion since you never know if moving to another state will come up. However, many states are allowing non-aba grads that pass the California exam to sit, but when making the three year commitment to law school you don't want to end up not having the right to take the bar. Take the LSAT do well in undergrad and see what your numbers are.

Many ABA schools really don't care where your B.A. is from as long as it is an accredited school and if you do well there and perform well on the LSAT you will have options. I would study for the LSAT see how that turns out then you will know what options you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back