Financial Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DgtlShadow

Hello,
My name is Jeremy and I am a 25 year male in Colorado. I have a few questions that need some help with. Brief rundown of me, I am engaged and trying to create a wonderful life for me and my fiance. In the past I made some mistakes with my credit. Got an auto loan in 2002 which ended up getting reposesed (sp?) due to not finding a job after moving to a new city. Since then i have not had any loans until 2006 I believe. I enrolled in college with the understanding that i could get federal funding (the school guaranteed me). They started me in classes before funding was fully taken care of. I stopped classes after i found out that i could not get approved for loans to pay for the school. I got an auto loan in 11/2006 which i have been paying more than minimal payments and every payment has been on time. I am trying to get good credit so that I can buy a house in the future with my fiance and have a family. I am currently paying on Sallie Mae (the loan i actually got for school). However, I still have a balance with the school itself for "charges" of the schooling. I attended classes for under 2 months. I have talked through email with a representative of the school and explained the situation. She informed me that a whole new staff is in place and that the policy is not to start students unless funding has been taken care of. Today i receive a letter stating i owe roughly $3000-$4000 to my original auto loan in 2002. After viewing my credit report i see that the report states that this account was "Charged Off as Bad Debt". The credit report shows that the account was closed in 12/02. And that is also the update date on the report for that account. The letter states i can make a one time payment of $2853.89 or 3 monthly payments of $1331.81. I cannot afford to pay that amount of money. So now, my questions.

1. Am i responsible to pay the school even though i was started before funding was taken care of?

2. It has been 5 years since i had my reposesion. Can they require me to pay even though my credit report says it was charged off and balance on the account is $0?

3. If I am responsible for above mentioned, what are my options?

I know i screwed up in the past and it is affecting me now. I have grown up a lot and want my life to be good and know good credit is a major player in the equation. Thank You in advance.

Who is the letter from for the car payments? The loan was probably sold off to a credit collection agency but you are still responsible for all the debts you mentioned. You may be able to contact the people from the car loan and discuss payment options and do the same with the college. The college still paid the teachers for the two months you attended and they need to recoup their money. The debts will stay on your credit report until they are paid off and even then they will show late payments and repossession. So, sit down and figure out how much you can afford to pay a month to the school and to the car. They will probably fight you on the payment but insist that is all you can pay and understand you will paying interest too while you are paying them off which is very expensive and cause you to take longer in paying them off as interest is sometimes a third to half of the payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back