Finance civil

Joel42039

Jurisdiction
New York
So a friend of mine borrowed another friend 50k because they have a settlement against a hospital they were waiting for so my friend borrowed them this money with the agreement to pay it back from the settlement the person thst borrowed has not been answering often but they have no assets or money to pay the 50k back besides the settlement they havent got if my friend sues will he get his money back from tax returns or the person is on disability will they garnish that what are the options my friend has tons of texts proving it and a signed paper agreeing to it an pics thry sent of there personal settlement forms an many other papers

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier to read and understand what you write.

a friend of mine borrowed another friend 50k

What does "borrowed another friend $50k" mean? It seems to me there are two reasonable, and equally plausible, interpretations: (1) Friend #1 loaned $50k to Friend #2; or (2) Friend #1 borrowed $50k from some third party and gave that money to Friend #2. Which of these did you mean (or did you mean something else entirely)? Either way, I'd like to become friends with Friend #1 since he/she is apparently both wealthy and stupid.

they have a settlement against a hospital

They have a settlement? Meaning both Friend #1 and Friend #2 are anticipating this settlement? Or did you misuse a plural pronoun to refer to a single person?

will he get his money back from tax returns or the person is on disability

Huh? A tax return is a document filed with the IRS or a state taxing authority. In any event, we obviously have no way of knowing if Friend #1 will ever be repaid, and I'm not sure what someone being "on disability" has to do with anything.

Hopefully, Friend #1 properly documented and secured this loan, but it doesn't sound like he/she did that. He/she should do what he/she should have done in the first place: consult with a local attorney.

As the saying goes, a fool and his money are soon parted.
As the other saying goes, you can't get blood from a turnip.

Your friend should never have loaned the money and will likely never see it again even if he sues because the person he is suing apparently has no money. One can only wonder where the 50k that was borrowed disappeared to.

That said, if the friend who borrowed the money has any assets there might be an option worth pursuing, but certainly not a simple one that magically makes money reappear. The money is gone and it will take a lot of time and effort to get anything at all back.

Good luck.

Back