Final Pay

H

HRofOne

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I had an employee quit by stating "I quit" and walking out of a meeting. Upon issuing and sending a final paycheck, the former employee is arguing that the hours are not correct. However, the former employee already signed and deposited, so I assume also spent, the check. Is this act, of signing and depositing a final paycheck, acknowledgment that it was accepted by the employee? Can they still argue the hours were not correct or that we still owe them pay if they already signed and deposited this check?

Can they still argue the hours were not correct or that we still owe them pay if they already signed and deposited this check?

Yes, the person can make such an argument.

However, truth will always trump a lie.

If the person was paid the correct amount, and you can PROVE it, not merely assert it, you have nothing to worry about.

You get sued, you defend, the judge decides.

Is this act, of signing and depositing a final paycheck, acknowledgment that it was accepted by the employee? No.

Can they still argue the hours were not correct or that we still owe them pay if they already signed and deposited this check? Yes

So, DO you still owe him pay?

If additional hours are owed, why not pay the employee? The employee can file a wage claim & "might" win.

There's a very simple fix for this: figure out if he was paid correctly, and if not, issue another check for the remainder owed. If he was paid correctly, let him know that his final pay was correct. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's already negotiated the check.

Back