Consumer Fraud Film School

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbhamiltoniv

I am currently enrolled in a Los Angeles based film school. It advertises itself as a one year feature film directing academy. Therefore, over the course of one year I would have had classes, training, and directed a feature film. Great promise right?! Well, I've now been at the school since last october. We are not even in preproduction. Moreover, the "school" has yet to accept any scripts I have found (one of which is now being optioned by lionsgate with a 12 million dollar budget). I believe this is no more than a stalling tactic. From October to March we had zero, yes zero, classes. We sat in the school's one classroom and read scripts. Nothing further was provided. We recently had a 3 month class where each student directed a one act play. The teachers were a wonderful experience, however, our classes were held in the school administrator's living room. No lie. He said our classroom's were too expensive. Turns out his apartment is near $3000 a month! Guess how he pays for that? We have now just begun a second round of classes with only 2 classes per week. And yes, they are in the living room yet again.

Now I won't say a number (it's embarrassing), but a large amount of money was paid to this school, who's promise I remind you was a feature film. As of this minute the school has had over 10 directing students. It turns out not one feature film has been completed over the last 5 years. One was shot and remains on the cutting room floor 9 months after principal photography. Over half the students have left the school threatening legal action. The administrator has told each "there are no refunds, it's in the contract." Well, I never signed a contract and I don't know if this is better, worse, or indifferent. I'm beginning to think the school will never make a feature and am contemplating legal action.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I really really feel your pain. My husband went to film school in Seattle and was promised a lot that was not delivered. He ended up "graduating", but decided that the $20k he paid was a rip-off. In retrospect, he wishes he would have left when he realized what a joke the school was, and looked into his legal options.

If you're not getting what you agreed to, I'd be the first to call a lawyer and see what options you have. I'm sure you probably paid as much, if not more, than my husband did and you have a right to the education you were promised. Do you have any paperwork, contracts, enrollment papers, etc.? Anything that outlines your classes, schedules, curriculum, etc.? I'm curious what they advertised opposed to what you're actually getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back