Filling DBA after having corporation

Sam Singh

Jurisdiction
California
Hi,
We are an s-corp and had filled DBA statement this week with county as we want to market ourselves into different name. I'll update our bank accounts.
My question is what other steps do we need to take, does IRS need to know that we filled dba and update the SS-4 form which has our EIN number. Also when i send my customers our W-9 should i just update it by adding our dba.

My question is what other steps do we need to take, does IRS need to know that we filled dba and update the SS-4 form which has our EIN number.

No.

Also when i send my customers our W-9 should i just update it by adding our dba.

If the persons dealing with company only know it as the trade name (dba) rather than the corporate name then adding the trade name to it might help them figure out why they are being asked to complete the form. It certainly doesn't hurt to include it.

We are an s-corp

No you're not. I assume what this really means is that you and one or more other persons are shareholders, directors, officers and/or employees of a corporation.

does IRS need to know that we filled dba and update the SS-4 form which has our EIN number.

No. Filing a "dba" form does not create a new legal entity.

Also when i send my customers our W-9 should i just update it by adding our dba.

Depends on the nature of the corporation's relationship with any particular customer.

No you're not. I assume what this really means is that you and one or more other persons are shareholders, directors, officers and/or employees of a corporation.
Since the OP is asking on behalf of the corporation, I don't see any problem with the way it was worded. I often use such phrasing when I am speaking on behalf of the corporation that employs me.

Since the OP is asking on behalf of the corporation, I don't see any problem with the way it was worded. I often use such phrasing when I am speaking on behalf of the corporation that employs me.

Noted, but I really couldn't care less.

My point was that I couldn't care less that you "don't see any problem with the way it was worded" or that you "often use such phrasing."
Your response could be misleading to the OP, or at the very least making him waste his (and our) time arguing a pedantic point.

Back