Filing Suit for Non-Payment of Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

newimges

My husband and I own a commercial cleaning company in Michigan. In March of 2007 we received a call from a large apartment complex located in the same city for a quote on cleaning their vacant apartments as people move out. We gave them a quote and they decided to hire us. The apartment manager signed our contract and agreed to a set price for each apartment cleaned. Our contract states that payment is due on the 15th of each month for the prior months cleaning services. We cleaned several apartments in March and April. Each time we cleaned an apartment they had a form with the apartment # and a checklist of all the services for each apartment. After each apartment was cleaned we had the manager sign the forms.

The total balance due for all the apartments that were cleaned in March was $300 which was due on April 15th and the balance due for the apartments cleaned in April was $1200 which was due on May 15th.

After not receiving any payment from them June 1st I contacted the apartment manager and she stated that payments are paid through a separate management company and the checks were cut on the 10th and the 25th of each month and we should receive the payment later that month. Payment was not received. I sent the apartment complex a statement along with a letter on the 1st of every month until we finally received a payment of $300 in October. I again contacted the apartment manager and asked about the remaining balance of $1200 and she stated that we should get another check in November but we never did.

On January 4, 2008 I sent them a letter by certified mail basically telling them that if payment was not received within 14 days we would have no choice but commence legal action against them. The 14 days has come and gone and no payment has been received.

I went to the city and found the actual owners on the Deed to the apartment complex which is a corporation with the address listed in Ohio. I searched for the corporation on the State of Michigan website and the address of the corporation has a Michigan address and a different address in Michigan for the Registered Agent of the Corporation.

We would like to file a small claims suit in the city where both our company and the apartment complex is located. My question is who do I name in the lawsuit? The apartment complex, the corporation, or both? Which address do I have the papers sent to? The apartment complex, the corporation address in Michigan, or the Registered Agent's address, or all of them?

Any advise you can give is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back