Personal Bankruptcy Filed for Bankruptcy But Never Went Thru With It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasguy

I have a question, about 5 yrs ago I was in a financial mess from years of living off credit cards and an ex who loved to spend my money. Long story short I couldn't keep up anymore and consulted a lawyer who thought it would be a good idea to file for bankruptcy. I did it and waited for the hearing which took forever and then the lawyer told me they filed it in the wrong district and had to refile it. After several months I decided to not go through with it and eventually resolved all my CC debt by negotiating with my creditors. To this day I have no CC debt and have actually rebuilt my credit rating to nearly 700's by using a couple of high interest CC cards and always paying them on time. My question is since I never actually went through with the bankruptcy shouldn't they have to remove it from my credit history. Even with a decent credit rating I am assuming the bankruptcy will still drag me down if and when I ever need to borrow or get a home loan. It doesn't seem very fair to punish me for something that I never went through with.
Thanks for you help in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back