Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Female friend had sex drunk, boy´s friend videotaped without her knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan314

Hi,

My friend had a more than unfortunate night last night, and we´d like to know what her legal options are.

Background to the situation: My friend, B, female, used to date N, male, but she currently has a new boyfriend. B and N have tried to stay friends, although it has been apparent that N has wanted to be more; he has persistently made advances (verbal, occasionally small physical things), and B has persistently made it clear that she wants only to be friends (she has directly told him as much numerous times).

Last night, B and N were both drinking at a little college party with friends (B is 19, N is 21). B only remembers playing drinking games with him; she doesn´t remember any flirting or the like. Her next memory (she had a lot to drink and so doesn´t remember the whole night) is of walking back to her dorm with N, with whom she was fighting. She repeatedly told N to ¨Fuck off,¨ et cetera, though N was insisting on walking her back to her room. She remembers being furious and crying, but did not remember why in the morning.

In the morning, B called N to find out what had happened the previous night. N told B that they had had sex. N also told B that N´s friend, J, had taped the sex with a camera placed in N´s room (a standard type of photo camera that has a video-recording setting). N claims to have been unaware that J had set up a camera to tape them. N claims to have found out later from one of J´s other friends that J had taped the encounter; after hearing this, N claims to have gone into J´s room, deleted the video from J´s camera, and gone through J´s computer to make sure there were no copies there.

B would like to know what options she has for pressing charges against J and/or N. I know in some states, if the female is drunk, sex can be ruled as nonconsensual, even if she drunkenly agrees or is ¨into it.¨ Are there any such laws in MA that would apply to N here? How difficult would such a case be? J´s case seems more straightforward - what kind of laws would apply? How difficult would it be to prove if N has, indeed, deleted the only copy from J´s camera?

Also: B is very much upset and embarrassed by this whole incident, to say the least, and fears the gossip that would ensue in her school if she did choose to press charges. What is the statute of limitations for these things? Is waiting to press charges a bad idea? Is there any way for her to make a police report now and put off pressing charges, perhaps until this summer, or even until she has graduated (3 years from now, I realize that´s probably not possible)? Does she have any other options for pressing charges and maintaining privacy?

Thank you all so much for your help - I really appreciate it and I assure you B will as well.

If your friend willingly drank there was consent likely and proving otherwise will be near impossible. If the video was removed (deleted) theres nothing there as well

First, your friend is 19 and has no business drinking. You may be upset that I'm pointing that out but do you really think that is going to go unnoticed? Secondly, its going to be very hard and unethical to prove or try to prove that your friend did not consent when she was too drunk to remember the night. One of the reasons you don't get that drunk is because you tend to do things you might later regret and want to call rape. I'm not saying she consented but she acted very irresponsibly and illegally I might add.

As for filming those who did not give consent, if that actually happened and he isn't just pulling your leg (or hers), then it might be actionable. I'm not certain about MA but in many states there is a prohibition against filming someone without their knowledge if they are in a private place. Of course, they may claim that she consented and after all, how would she prove she did not, being that she doesn't know what happened that night.

Your friend can not even prove that any sex occurred that night much less any rape. It may not sound fair, and you may not like it, but you can't prove someone guilty of a crime you are not sure was committed. Your friend should cut N off completely, stop drinking until she is of legal age and even then stop drinking until she is mature enough to stop before being vulnerable.

Sorry, I'm sure my answer isn't what you are looking for.

I think it would be very difficult to prosecute N for rape especially given that they had a previous relationship and she knowingly got drunk with someone she supposedly had no interest in. The videotape may be a different matter if it can be found. The best advice for your friend would be to seriously consider whether she should drink at all. Has she put herself in this sort of situation before only to go out and do it again. If so, she may want to consider getting treatment or seeking professional help.

Call the police and make a report. Let the investigator sort things out. If they feel they have enough to move forward then they will. As said above, it will be difficult to prove she did not consent, however if she was in a condition that she was unable to give consent (even due to intoxication) then there is the possibility of felony rape. She should also consider a blood test to see if there are any traces of drugs in her system that she is not aware of. The type of blackout described is typical of date rape drugs.
I also doubt he owuld have erased the tape, if it existed. He likely has a copy. The sooner you act on this the better. The longer you wait the harder it will be to collect any evidence and prove anything at all.
The police will want to have her go through an exam that will show whether she has recently had sex or not, and they will want to collect bedsheets from her room and the clothes she was wearing.

All that said---- if she is being a drama queen and she knows there is no truth to this then she better not proceed because they will see right through it. If she truly believes that this may have happened then call the police NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back