Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Felony Embezzlement for $59

SusanaMermaid

No priors, not even a speeding ticket. What are my chances Of charges being dismissed or lessened? I am turning 20 years old and did not realize I was doing anything wrong to begin with as I was new to place of employment and seen coworkers use similar things all the time. The money went right back to store because it was in the form of a gift card. Willing to pay restitution of course, but wished I would've been told what I was doing was wrong and being asked to pay money back rather than being sent to jail for a big mistake and being charged with a felony. This is a billion dollar corporation. Help? I have a lawyer now, but wanting to get more opinions. Thank you!

No priors, not even a speeding ticket. What are my chances Of charges being dismissed or lessened? I am turning 20 years old and did not realize I was doing anything wrong to begin with as I was new to place of employment and seen coworkers use similar things all the time. The money went right back to store because it was in the form of a gift card. Willing to pay restitution of course, but wished I would've been told what I was doing was wrong and being asked to pay money back rather than being sent to jail for a big mistake and being charged with a felony. This is a billion dollar corporation. Help? I have a lawyer now, but wanting to get more opinions. Thank you!

Sorry, you need to discuss every aspect of your case with your lawyer, not with strangers.
If things are as you say, and you have no prior convictions, you won't do jail or prison time.
More than likely, your case will get plead down to a misdemeanor larceny or theft charge.
You'll be ordered to take some ethics, honesty, or theft prevention classes, do community service, pay restitution, some fines and court fees, stay out of trouble for a year or two, and this will all be gone.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. If store lost no money then how is there a criminal charge? I think there is more to this than your saying or you know. You are best served by talking to an Attorney and do not divulge details on public forums. As stated with no priors jail is not likely and a plea deal is a very real option. http://retailtheftexpert.wix.com/retail-theft-answers

Embezzlement is a charge in which the prosecution will have to prove your intent to knowingly and willfully commit the offense. If you lacked the intent then the crime was not complete.
Since you already have an attorney you will want to work out all the details of your legal defense. You don't have to prove that you didn't know what you were doing was wrong, they have to prove that you did. Whether that can be done or not depends on circumstances and information that we don't have access to.
From what you have said here I would expect it to be reduced to a misdemeanor petty theft offense.

Since you have a lawyer, it is best you talk only to your lawyer & ask him/her all your questions.

Back