Criminal Law Felony DUI, will visa be denied or result in ten yr. bar from U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marisol

My jurisdiction is: California

:confused:My husband was deported July 2008 after serving eight months in jail for a felony DUI (DUI resulting in minor harm to passenger). This was his second DUI, the first was a misdemeanor. In 1999 he had a voluntary departure but obviously returned. I am in the visa process. I have paid the affidavit of support fee and have someone willing to sponsor him as my income is not enough to meet poverty guidelines. I just received the applicant immigrant visa fee which has not yet been paid. We have two children and have been married for three years. I have heard from others that because he has the felony he will be denied the visa and punished by being barred from the U.S. for at least ten years at the time of his interview. It this is likely to happen what can I do? If anyone can provide any information, thank you in advance.

unfortunately, yes there is a high possibility of that happening as they are well know to deny cases for less than what you are describing, but again it also depends on who interviews him I guess, either way good luck on your application process I know how stressful it can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back