Criminal Trials, Hearings Federal Representation possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

This is about my boyfriend's uncle and I'm just looking to give them places to turn. The uncle is not a good person, first off, but the family believes he is in prison for a crime he did not commit and that he received faulty representation by his lawyer and that the judge had already decreed him guilty before the case even went to trial. The reason I need help is because uncle's mom (call her grandma), who is 77, is spending all her money trying to get it to go back to trial, including re-mortgaging her home.
This took place in Arkansas. Girl is native to state, uncle is from Illinois. Uncle's girlfriend's almost adult daughter accused him of molesting her. This accusation took place not too long after uncle and girlfriend had fight and he kicked her and her daughter out of the house. Prosecution had evidence that the girl's hymen was not intact (she wasn't a virgin, but then, what 17 year old isn't these days). Girl claims to have been sodomized, but medical evidence did not support. Medical evidence for uncle did support that due to level of diabetes, he had difficulty of obtaining and maintaining erection. Uncle's lawyer did not call anyone to questioning, including the accused. Judge would not admit medical evidence in favor of accused. Basically, from what i've been told, the trial was once sided with no defence for uncle what-so-ever, despite there being a great deal of evidence that indicated what he was being accused of was almost impossible. In addition, the judge supposedly made snide, personal remarks during the trial indicating his 'thoughts and opinions' of uncle, which uncle's lawyer laughed about rather than calling for a mistrial or anything. grandma paid this lawyer over 50k and feels that he did nothing to earn it. In addition, she has paid other lawyers in the state large sums of $ to try to re-open the case and have it re-tried. She's also looking into trying to find a non-Arkansas resident with a license to practice in Arkansas so that she can be sure of representation w/o worrying about bias. She has been unable to locate such a person. I told her that if she feels that the trial was 'legally a bad trial' that she should get someone from federal involved, but i'm not sure where she should start looking. any suggestions?

It won't be a federal crime or case until after it goes to the Arkansas supreme court.

The best thing you can do is some of your own research into decent Arkansas appelate lawyers, willing to fight for you and state the previous attorney committed malpractice, and the trial was tainted by the Judge's remarks.

Call the state bar association and ask for a referral.

$50K for a lawyer is a hell of a lot of money to pay someone who doesn't even put up a case involving medical evidence, etc.

Thank you for your suggestion. I just spoke to my boyfriend more about this, to let him know what you said. First I should say that I was incorrect in the amount; it was 15, not 50, so I apologize for that error. I will speak more with Grandma about this too, since she has more knowledge of the incident than my boyfriend does, but I was told that the state bar association was contacted, a referal was given and she was told they wouldn't take the case and there was nothing she could do about the situation. I believe she feels as though the entire state is against uncle because he's not a native to arkansas and it was a child molestation case. I understand in a way where she's coming from as even i tend to automatically believe guilt over innocence in those types of cases as well. I did forget to mention (rather, i didn't remember about this), uncle was (is) hep c and the girl tested negative for hep, though I suppose that if protection was used, that could be considered inadequate evidence. This was also not introduced during the trial. DOn't misunderstand, i believe best place for this guy is prison, he's NOT a good person, but I don't like seeing grandma spending all her money to try to prove his innocence and not being able to get anywhere. I also understand her need to protect her son. i will talk to her some more to get better facts and if anything different or incorrect in what i've said so far, I will update.
thanks again for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back