Auto Loans Father took loan out in my name

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddanz304

When I turned 17 or 18 my grandma left me 40,000 dollars when she passed away. I wanted to use that to buy a car my father made me sign the money over to him because he felt 40,000 dollars was too much for a teenage to have. When we purchased the car he made me put 10,000 down and took out a loan of 5,000 dollars. Two months ago a man came and repossessed my car saying that I had not made one car payment. WHen i called to ask my father what happened he said I used all of the money and to get a job while I am at school to pay it off. I have done the math I should have at least 22,000 dollars left and since he never made a car payment I should actually have 27,000 dollars. He refuses to answer my calls or texts to talk about this issue anymore. Is there anything I can do? My credit is destroyed. I have no car and now owe the irs 4,000 from the taxes on the 40,000 dollars.

If you are under 18 then you are out of luck. The money was not your to begin with.
If you are over 18, and you are the one that bought the car, then YOU are responsible for the car payments, not your father.

Your dad may very well have swindled you out of some cash, but you don't explain enough here to reach any conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back