Father to son business, odd issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrenchead3

I will first start off by saying that I am a Canadian and I am just looking for some help getting going in the right direction. I will make this as short as I can. i moved back home 6 years ago, I was gone for 14 years, because my father was 68 yrs old and still working his auto repair business. My other siblings did not seem to interested in helping out. He has been self employed for most of his life and did not have alot of pension to live on so I came back. The business was just barely a business and the equipment was very outdated. I did not know what I was getting into or it might have been different. In the 6 years I have updated all the shop equipment with some very big dollar stuff, the building itself was not to bad at all. The property and building is owned by my father. My wife and I ( as well as my dad ) agree that we have about $30,000 in equity built up. The problem now is how do I get this locked up legally so that his wife ( a women that he married and I do not know ) can not take this from us. there was a legal business partnership drawn up a few years back that is about to run out. The business was shut down and I went out to get work but the equipment is still there and the building and equipment still does get used by myself regularly. My wife and I do not trust this women at all, with good reason, she has taken the grand matriarch roll and is put herself way up above us. My father says that it is all taken care of and has been added in the will. he has not given me any details as to what the " all ' is. There was a very heated discussion one night and his wife said that her niece, a legal assistant , wrote everything up and we could see it anytime. There is always an excuse that we cant at this time. I do not belive there is anything. I believe everything is in his wifes name when he is gone. What about what is mine ? Stuff that would not be there if not for me? Any sort of insight or direction would be very much appreciated. It has caused some tension at home between my and i because of all of the unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back