Father Sueing Mother - Mother Sueing Father - What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanRChristie

My parents seperated and divorce about 3-1/2 years ago. At the time my mother got everything (for the most part). Now, my father is trying to reopen the divorce case by bringing my mom to court on various other things. Included in this is Federal Bankruptcy Fraud, and various other things. My problem is, my father has "evidence" that I was involved in the fraud process. Such as a vehicle that had the title signed over to me, but was not registered to me (mainly because I was 17, had never owned a car, and no one ever told me that I needed to have the car registered in my name) which he stated was "withholding property" when my mom filed for bankruptcy. Other things include the fact that while my mom (or after, I'm not sure) filed for bankruptcy she also recieved a mortage. When the appraiser came the basement of our house had one wall (drywall only) removed. That was my doing. So now he says that I destroyed the wall to conspire with my mother in getting the house appraised at a lesser value (I still don't understand why she would want that.) Anyway, no he is threating me with federal legal action. I don't know what to do. Right now he is subpeonaing me to come to civil trials and testify against my mother, which I'll do of course, but anything I say that he doesn't want to be the truth he considers perjury. It's got to the point where I don't answer the phone, door, or check my e-mail because I'm afraid it will be him. Is there anything I can do to keep from getting anymore involved in this? I can't really afford an attorney of my own . . . but if there is some legal action I can take I will gladly do it. Thank you.

To begin, it seems that you never wanted to committ the fraud so the truth shouldn't be a problem. However, you may want to take the fifth in that you should not have to provide testimony that could later be used against you. You may want to say that your father is threatening you with false accusations of fraud. Unfortuantely you have no choice but to plead the fifth amendment (against self-incrimination) due to your father's own threats. He won't get the testimony he wants and it also may make him look bad since he has been threatening you with accusations of criminal activity. You may wish to contact the public defender's office to discuss the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back