Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Family member using girlfriend's SSN against her knowledge?

F CCC

Jurisdiction
California
First I'm very sorry if this is the wrong section. Please redirect me to the appropriate section if this isn't applicable here.

My girlfriend recently discovered that one of her family members that is undocumented is using her SSN for employment purposes. This family member knew the SSN because my girlfriend's mother shared it with her knowingly. The mother and relative were both in on it until the relative told my girlfriend the truth what happened.

The relative said she only worked for 2 weeks but we cannot verify this yet as my GF doesn't have access to the SSA account online (she will resolve this with SSA over phone). At this point I am advising my GF to report her relative for identity theft. By doing this she will definitely be tying this relative and her mother in legal issues I am assuming. However, my girlfriend is mainly concerned that the government would deport her relative that has two US born children.

I am not honestly sure how to best approach this issue. I obviously am on my girlfriend's side and especially don't want any issues down the road if her identity is compromised. My girlfriend on the other hand is angry as well but she is thinking about the children and how this potentially affects them. If my GF lets this issue "slide" by not acknowledging the identity theft to protect her relative then I am seeing this as blame will then fall on my GF. For me it's my GF over anyone especially if the mother and relative did this behind her back.

Any advice is appreciated thank you so much.

First I'm very sorry if this is the wrong section. Please redirect me to the appropriate section if this isn't applicable here.

My girlfriend recently discovered that one of her family members that is undocumented is using her SSN for employment purposes. This family member knew the SSN because my girlfriend's mother shared it with her knowingly. The mother and relative were both in on it until the relative told my girlfriend the truth what happened.

The relative said she only worked for 2 weeks but we cannot verify this yet as my GF doesn't have access to the SSA account online (she will resolve this with SSA over phone). At this point I am advising my GF to report her relative for identity theft. By doing this she will definitely be tying this relative and her mother in legal issues I am assuming. However, my girlfriend is mainly concerned that the government would deport her relative that has two US born children.

I am not honestly sure how to best approach this issue. I obviously am on my girlfriend's side and especially don't want any issues down the road if her identity is compromised. My girlfriend on the other hand is angry as well but she is thinking about the children and how this potentially affects them. If my GF lets this issue "slide" by not acknowledging the identity theft to protect her relative then I am seeing this as blame will then fall on my GF. For me it's my GF over anyone especially if the mother and relative did this behind her back.

Any advice is appreciated thank you so much.

My advice is that this in now in your girlfriend's hands.

At this point I am advising my GF to report her relative for identity theft.

That's the best advice anybody can give.

my girlfriend is mainly concerned that the government would deport her relative that has two US born children.

Not your GF's problem. Relative should have thought of the consequences before committing the crime.

GF doesn't have access to the SSA account online

Why not? The SSA website makes it fairly easy to create an account.

I am not honestly sure how to best approach this issue.

Not your circus, not your monkey. You already gave your GF good advice. Now it's up to her.

If my GF lets this issue "slide" by not acknowledging the identity theft to protect her relative then I am seeing this as blame will then fall on my GF.

You're right. The state and the US Government could bring charges against her for allowing somebody else to use her SS number.

It's CYA time for your GF.

My advice is that this in now in your girlfriend's hands.
Unfortunately she is very passive and doesn't like confrontations nor problems. Yes, I know this isn't her fault or anything she caused but it is stressful that myself and her father (separated from her mother) are both pushing her towards reporting her relative while she still worries about other "consequences".

That's the best advice anybody can give.

Not your GF's problem. Relative should have thought of the consequences before committing the crime.

Why not? The SSA website makes it fairly easy to create an account.

Not your circus, not your monkey. You already gave your GF good advice. Now it's up to her.

You're right. The state and the US Government could bring charges against her for allowing somebody else to use her SS number.

It's CYA time for your GF.
Yes I completely agree with everything you said. It isn't her problem but her heart doesn't want to separate the children from their mother if that happens. She's passive.

I don't want to be controlling but honestly myself and her father will be pushing her to cover herself over anyone else. I don't want to see anyone hurt her like this without any regard for the consequences this would have on my GF.

as for the SSA account she got locked out online so she will need to call to fix the issue.

Well in this case does my GF need to do anything else aside from reporting to FTC, calling creditors, and credit freeze?

Without a police report, she's going to have problems gaining any traction.

I am not honestly sure how to best approach this issue. . . . Any advice is appreciated thank you so much.

You've given her the only advice you reasonably can give her. Now let her handle it. How she handles this will be a good indicator to you about whether this is a person worth continuing a relationship with.

Unfortunately she is very passive and doesn't like confrontations nor problems.

She'll like the consequences of not doing the right thing even less.

The state and the US Government could bring charges against her for allowing somebody else to use her SS number.

I don't think so. There is no case to bring against the GF unless the government has some evidence the GF was actively participating in the alleged fraud. Simply failing to report the suspected fraud is not itself a crime.

But she still needs to get this stopped sooner than later or the things the relative does using her SSN can really cost her.

You've given her the only advice you reasonably can give her. Now let her handle it. How she handles this will be a good indicator to you about whether this is a person worth continuing a relationship with.

She'll like the consequences of not doing the right thing even less.
I do want to be with her now and in the future but you are right that issues like this cannot work if we get married with kids, etc.

That's the reasoning I try to rationalize with her that there are consequences either way. It depends on her where she wants those consequences to affect her or her relative.

That's the reasoning I try to rationalize with her that there are consequences either way. It depends on her where she wants those consequences to affect her or her relative.

A thief, a crook, a criminal, or a scammer has no limits.

A miscreant who steals from a relative illustrates to all who dare see, anyone can become prey.

When her well has been drained, if you're still around, they'll hit you, too.

Knowing what you've learned, save yourself, break it off before the sun rises again.

These modern day,Jesse James-like bandits will hit you and you won't even know it.

Forget about Miss Reluctant, save yourself man.

Stay as far away from those rascals as you can, that includes Miss Reluctant, too.

I've learned in life that it is best not to associate or be in the presence of felons.

The fact that one would burglarize her/his way into a sovereign country, tells you that person has no moral compass.

Yes I completely agree with everything you said. It isn't her problem but her heart doesn't want to separate the children from their mother if that happens. She's passive.

I don't want to be controlling but honestly myself and her father will be pushing her to cover herself over anyone else. I don't want to see anyone hurt her like this without any regard for the consequences this would have on my GF.

as for the SSA account she got locked out online so she will need to call to fix the issue.

Well in this case does my GF need to do anything else aside from reporting to FTC, calling creditors, and credit freeze?

If the relative gets deported there is no reason she can't take her children with her.

If your girlfriend doesn't report this, she can count on her SS# being used again and possibly by several people.

Back