Repairs, Maintenance Falure to make repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpendeal

My husband and I signed a lease on June 1st, we payed our deposit and 1st mo rent. The day we moved in we noticed the AC was not cooling as it should and we informed the rental agency the next morning (thurs june 2nd) they sent out a repairman who made a few minor adjustments but said he found nothing major wrong with the unit. Later that day the unit would cool the house but would not cycle off, we complained again, they said they would send someone out to find out more. Today, Friday the 3rd no one came. I called the power company to find out how many KWHRS had been used and over 1100 have been used since June 1st!! (My previous place I used 800 for an entire month the month before). We again called the agency who said they could do anything until mon. This is not the only repair that hasnt been made yet but the most important. Do we have ground to break the lease and get our money back? What can I do? I cant afford then next two days until monday in AC costs but the temps are forcasted at 96 deg Sat and 100 on Sun & Mon! Please help!

No, you do not have grounds for breaking the lease. Make sure you are following the procedure set forth in the lease regarding notice of repairs. If the lease does not specifiy the procedure your state law probably does.

If you end up with an enormous bill you can try to get the landlord to pay a reasonable amount that covers the defective AC, or sue in civil court and let a judge figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back