False speeding ticket

K

KTarr19

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hello,
I'm looking for advice in how to best a speeding ticket that was given to me in which the cop is lying.
I was driving with my 1 year old and dog with my cruise control set at 74, in a 70. I was driving in the right lane. The cop was parked on the shoulder of the right lane and when I got up to his car, he immediately turned on his lights. He said that I was going 8mph. Which is impossible because I was set at 74. When I told him this he said well he clocked me from behind him going 88 and that I slowed down real quick...but how is it possible to slow down so quickly? When his car doesn't even look like a cop car from far away. There was a white car in the left lane in front of me (my car is also white). I think he might have meant to pull them over. He also asked me if I wanted him to check his radar and I told him yes, but he never showed me it working or brought it up again.
I talked to a lawyer and he said the most he could do is get the ticket reduced and make it so no points are taken. But I don't want to pay for a ticket when I was NOT speeding. At all. I've never done over 80 in my ford focus...not even a fast car. Not to mention my baby was in the car. As well as a dog!
Please, I need any help because this is not fair and completely false about me speeding.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

At 74 your were already exceeding the legal limit and you admitted that to the officer, thus sealing your doom.

Either plead not guilty and take your chances (slim) or go to traffic school if you are eligible.

In the future set your cruise control AT the speed limit, not over it.

If you go to court and plead not guilty, it's possible that you'll have the speed reduced to a lower number - but as @adjusterjack points out, you probably have no way of avoiding the ticket. Now it's possible that you might be able to fight the method of taking the measurement of your speed (we don't know the process, pacing, radar, laser, etc.) but the other problem you face is your assumption that your cruise control and speedometer are accurate and that the officer's equipment or method was inaccurate. This won't be easy because, no matter what, you've set yourself up to exceed the speed limit and your argument is that you were breaking the law but just not going as fast as claimed.

You also seem to be failing to consider that your speedometer may be inaccurate. Even if it has a problem that is not a justification for speeding.

Back