False insurance claim / Overpriced estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

anghel412

I'm from North Texas. Several months ago while driving my Aunt's car I reversed into someone else's late model Ford Explorer (probably 1996). There was little to no damage at all just part of the blinker light push in and the black plastic beasel around the head light and blinker light was broken ($15 part). The police were NOT called and no police report was filed. One witness pulled over and gave her information to the other driver since she saw me reverse into him.

Ok so yesterday I received a letter from an attorney's office requesting I write to them within 30 days about the incident other wise the amount the insurance company paid to repair the vehicle was a valid debt.

The insurance company had requested I paid the $717 which I thought was outrageous for such little damage to such an old car. Not to mention that the guy I had hit said not to worry about it that it wasn't a big deal as we exchange names and phone numbers, that's IT. No insurance info was exchange and like I said no authorities were called.

Should I just pay the insurance company little by little (can I do that? Like $5 a month). Or did the other guy file a false insurance claim? Wouldn't that be considered insurance fraud since the cost of the damages was not reasonable in ANY state.

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back