False Advertisemnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy32

I work for a major corporation and a year ago it was bought a now owned by a bigger corporation. This past summer I was told that they had college reimbursement and I got the paperwork from our HR department and filled them out and turned them back in. I was told all was good and when I was ready to have a couple of my classes paid for they told me they dont do college reimbursement. Yesterday I was listening to the radio and a advertisement for my corporation came on for possible employees and one of the benefits they advertised was college reimbursement. I high tailed it to the HR department to just hear that they dont provide it. I was depending on it back when I turned the paperwork in and still need it. Can I be a pain and force them to provide it for me?

Tracy32

Well, you can try, although the cost of pursuing civil litigation for detrimental reliance will far outweigh the cost of your college classes. Plus there are absolutely no guarantees you would prevail - in fact, it seems unlikely if the above is all you have to go on.

Does the employer have a written policy regarding tuition reimbursement? If so, what does it say? Who is eligible? For what type of classes? At which schools? Must the schools be accredited? Does the policy say they will pay for ALL college courses or only specific types of classes? What does it say about the applicability of the degree program an individual is pursuing? Did the acquiring company change the prior policy? Has the acquired company just not had the time/resources to change their radio spots?

You get the idea. You're suggesting the employer is doing "bait and switch" employment advertising but there is a lot of information absent from your post that would allow one to understand why your request was denied and if something shady is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back