false accusation of theft at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUBBLES5353

I was recently employed at a small pharmacy/gift shop which was a small family business type place. I worked there for a year and a half and there were only 7 other employees besides myself total. Two of them had been there for 23 years and were good friends. 4 of the seven were related. One of these longtime employees was cheating on her husband, with 4 different men according to her "good friend", but i can only validate one personally. When this woman found out that my boyfriend works with the man she's cheating with(on company time at the store by the way) she set up to destroy me. I was terminated, and accused of theft. I to this day do not know what they accused me of stealing. My boss said there was 2 employees who said i took a bag out of the store, which i did nearly everyday since it contained MY belongings, and that no one rang me up for anything. true-since i didn't buy anything. but he said he checked the register tape for that day and these "supposed" items or item that i had in my bag were not on that day's tape. so now i can't collect unemployment, they cashed in three checks early that were to be held for a certain day, causing over 100 dollars in overdraft fees and within one full business day they had hired someone new. i have been set up and want to know if i can do anything about this. They believed the two employees who had worked there for years, good friends who both were involved in extramarital affairs and didn't want to get caught. but my boss was gone all throughout the week, even the day it supposedly happened, which i still don't know the day or item(s) they accused me of taking. also was mentioned they thought i was stealing cash but not really. because there was no cash missing-how could they accuse me of taking something that was still there? please help

You have two separate issues here.

You do not have any legal case against your employer. They are free to believe the other employee if they find her creditable. It is not illegal to fire you on the basis of suspected theft, even if they are wrong.

You may have a claim against the other employee; however, you will need to talk to an attorney in your state to determine if the case is strong enough to be worth attempting. Such cases are very costly, take a long time (think years) and only an attorney with knowledge of the applicable state laws can tell you if it would be worth it.

i never stole anything, and they are telling people that i did. isn't that slander or something? it's preventing me from jobs and opportunities

even if its just hearsay? no proof they can still legally do that?

Did you not read cbg's correct answer?

You have two separate issues here.

You do not have any legal case against your employer. They are free to believe the other employee if they find her creditable. It is not illegal to fire you on the basis of suspected theft, even if they are wrong.

You may have a claim against the other employee; however, you will need to talk to an attorney in your state to determine if the case is strong enough to be worth attempting. Such cases are very costly, take a long time (think years) and only an attorney with knowledge of the applicable state laws can tell you if it would be worth it.

i dont think you quite get the picture. they aren't saying things that are true-they are making things up to get me fired and they dont believe them to be true, they have done this to employees in the past. i'm not saying i "have a case" i just want to know if there is ANYTHING i can do since now they are telling people the lies they made up. i dont like people thinking i'm a theif when i have never stolen anything! and no-i wrote that before she replied judge.

That is your opinion. I am not calling you a thief. I am saying that its not illegal to say things that are true or they believe to be true. If want to take action on the employees you certainly can. However that will be time consuming and likely costly.

so its probably best to just let it go even though they are spreading lies about me through out my little community? that sucks. i see what you are saying though. three weeks before this happened the woman told me to watch out, and i should have known she would win somehow. i guess i will let god take care of her on his own time. start planning for a better opportunity, thank you

Who has your employer told that you stole anything? Nothing you have posted suggests that your employer has called you a thief to anyone. They fired you on suspicion, but that is a far cry from an accusation.

And I've already told you that it's possible that you can take legal action against the woman who accused you.

there are two small businesses close by. i cannot say for sure that the owner told the boss of these businesses, but someone did because i went in to buy something and he made a comment about how now they probably are looking for someone they can trust over there eh? and his coworker said something about maybe she should work over there instead, while nothing was posted in the newspaper at the time for hiring, no signs posted either. when i ran into the girl later at walmart she told me that she heard i was fired for stealing money or something. plus unemployment sent me a form in which my old boss had "contacted them stating i was discharged for theft" which denys my claim . it's not a big town and i've had people calling me asking me questions and i didn't tell anyone. but the fact that another business owner two doors down knew i was fired and thought i was a thief because of what he heard tells me someone from that store told him. i cannot afford an attorney as i have no income or money at all for that matter. i cannot call one because i have no phone. i have nothing because these ladies wanted to create a story so they could cheat on their husbands and i am the one who loses everything. i physically saw her and the other man doing things "of a biblical nature" in his truck in the back of work alley. and she knew that i saw because she called work to get my phone number at the time to confront me at home the weekend after it happened. i'm just upset. i know i can't do anything about any of this i think thats what makes it so hard. everyone else believes me because they know me and my character. she set up a huge plan showing him my financial records at the store and what not to prove i was in need of money and ran with it. what legal action could i take against her? this is all new to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back