Premises Liability fall at rental property

J

Jester

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I have a rental house in TN. I only have insurance on the property. The tenets at the time had renters insurance. Do i have any liability?

I have a rental house in TN. I only have insurance on the property. The tenets at the time had renters insurance. Do i have any liability?

You, as landlord don't automatically have responsibility for the acts of others UNLESS the property was in a state of disrepair and you neglected to repair things like the stairs, the floor, the ceiling, etc.

Then your neglect was the proximate cause of the person's fall.

I suggest you speak with your attorney, because if the person believes you were in the wrong, you'll be sued anyway. That doesn't mean you'll lose. But, it could still end up costing you money in legal fees. See you lawyer, talk to your insurer.

Being a landlord can end up costing you more money than you can make. Be careful, carry a good umbrella policy. Your insurance agent can discuss how you can best protect yourself with the RIGHT insurance product.

You might have liability if your negligence causes injury or property damage to another.

If you ever have such liability and you don't have liability insurance you're up shit's creek without a paddle.

I suggest you talk to your insurance agent ASAP and buy the coverage. You can either add owner's liability coverage to the policy on the rental (preferred method) or you can add Additional Residence Rented to Others to your homeowners policy:

https://agentweb.bunkerhillins.com/Agentweb/AWHDocs/pdf/MA/BH 24 70 05 96.pdf

Either way, it's cheap coverage and it's incredibly stupid not to have it.

You have provided virtually NO information. Try again and provide actual details about what happened.

You title your thread Fall at Rental Property. We don't have enough details to know if you have any liability. You "might".

Back