Fake Sprint Store sells my debt for $15,000 ??

Alex Kennedy

Jurisdiction
Oregon
No, that isn't a typo...$15,000.
That is the ridiculous number that this collections agency says I owe them via Sprint. Or I should say "Sprint" because after months of trying to figure out why my $100 bill was $400 each month my daughter finally went to a different Sprint store one day and told them about our dilemma to which they replied "Oh you guys went to the ___ location. That isn't actually a real Sprint store. Yeah, we get a lot of complaints from there."
Um....what?
So there is legally aloud to be a privately owned "version" of Sprint that makes their own rules and unless you know to ask them specifically if they are "really" Sprint then...you get my point. I went in to get some promotional deal where I turned in my iphone and got a new one of theirs, gave them my kids iphone and she got a new one- plus as a promotion got a "free" ipone 8" which I gave to my youngest. Then they hand me a bag of other phones. "Oh no I don't need those" but was told I HAD TO take them. The promotion that I was enjoying is only eligible if I take these other random 3 Free phones - Nokia's I think. The told me in no uncertain words I HAD TO take them.
They were free.
Whatever.

But then my bill was $400 instead of $100 as told. Called, texted, went in and got the run a round etc etc etc until finally my bill is up to $1,000 and I said "the end. enough"

Around that time we had a major life crises and months went by. My teenager daughter took her phone in to Sprint to give it back and pay whatever she owed on her line. They refused to take it back. They told her they could NOT take it back.

About a month later I found out why- they wanted to sell my debt to a collections agency. Had she given the phone back and paid part of it they wouldn't have been able to.
I got a letter saying I owed $15,000 for ALL of the phones- even those weird Nokia's or whatever. I'm going to be fighting it for sure. Charging me over $1,000 for each phone plus made up charges.

Here's my question: My iphone is locked. It's not Blacklisted. But it is locked as "under financial obligation."
I know how collections works. Sprint sold my debt. They have their money. I couldn't pay them if I wanted to. So shouldn't my phone be unlocked? This seems really sketchy and illegal to me.

Thanks for reading I know it was quite a long story.

First of all, it wasn't a "fake" Sprint dealer. It could be a franchise or an authorized dealer. Nothing illegal happened. That you didn't know what you were getting into is on you. I suspect that you had a contract that you breached when you stopped paying on the account.

When collection agencies buy non-performing debts they risk never getting paid so they buy those debts at a significant discount and the original creditor writes off the rest and has no further obligation to the debtor, which means that Sprint has no obligation to unlock your phones.

You might want to have a lawyer look into this for you.

Back