Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication fake ID's and the DMV driver safety branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucsbjules

I need some advise. :( I am a 20 (almost 21) year old student at the University of CA, Santa Barbara. About a month ago, I attempted to purchase a bottle of Tequila using the fake ID a friend made for me. The checker knew it was fake, refused to sell me the alcohol and then would not give me back the ID. I worried about it for a couple weeks, but did not hear anything, so I figured the store just destroyed it. Yesterday, I recieved a letter in the mail from the DMV Driver Safety Branch stating that I needed to call to make an appointment with them before the end of this month or my license would be suspended. When I called they informed me of the situation: "Someone or you attempted to use a false drivers license that had your drivers license number, name and all of your correct information (with the exception of the altered birth date) to purchase alcohol." I acted shocked and denied knowing anything about the situation, because I was freaked out and thought I could get away with it. Now I have an appointment with them in two weeks and I am really worried. I don't even know what I am going to tell the officer when I go in. I also wanted to know what the maximum penalty I can recieve for this act. I am extremely worried about getting my license revoked which would be terrible because I have a job to support myself through college which I must drive to. Also my mother lives near LA and is disabled and cannot drive, so I need the transportation to go see her as well. Do you think they would even care? Any advise or information you have that would help my case would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

Wow... that's unusual and perhaps there are reasons why they are taking these things so very seriously. As you know, we don't give advice here, we just talk in conversation about things that occur and our own experiences and observations. There are a number of statutes that may apply, including falsification of government property (false driver's license, not a college id) and other alcohol related infractions.

You might do best by not stating anything and just listening to them. If you speak, you should not admit to anything. As you have seen on TV... anything you say can be used against you. At this point it is even questionable as to whether the bartender would remember that it is you who gave them the fake license. You also might not get the truth about this from whomever you meet... You may want representation in this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back