Fair spousal support - Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

questioning

Simple questions: with info below, 1) is it fair to expect spousal support, and if 'yes' 2) how much, for how long.

marriage length: 9 years
kids: none
Husband: $100k/yr salary....grad degree...working full time.
Wife: unemployed over a year...in previous job 5 yrs, quit to move year ago, not yet looked for job in new locale....grad degree...worked part-time while married, avg income for profession working full time =$80k/yr.

If I missed anything pertinent to answer the questions, let me know.

Fair & legal are two different things. It's up to what a court decides.

Simple questions: with info below, 1) is it fair to expect spousal support, and if 'yes' 2) how much, for how long.

Wife: unemployed over a year...in previous job 5 yrs, quit to move year ago, not yet looked for job in new locale....grad degree...worked part-time while married, avg income for profession working full time =$80k/yr.

I suggest you speak with a domestic relations attorney in your county.
The initial consultation is normally provided free of charge.
Good luck.

1) With the exception of a few states (yours isn't one of them), a marriage of less than 10 years usually rules out the alimony situation. There are, of course, exceptions
2) How long have they been apart?

As you noted, you are employable yet elected not to look for gainful employment. I suggest you start quickly. You may find you are imputed the full time income that you are foregoing when CS is factored.

To fill in some blanks...been living separately for 2 months (but not legal separation).

We are attempting dissolution, but spouse wanted their own own attorney...so I have mine. As you might guess, our attorneys have vastly different views on how much spousal support the average Ohio judge might award. Just wondered what others with experience might suggest as a 'reasonable' expectation for both % of income, and length of time.

We have agreed on pretty much all other issues...convinced spouses attorney is setting unrealistic expectations on spousal support to prod us into divorce court...where he can collect more fees, knowing we can afford it. My attorney negotiates dissolutions, but will not litigate a divorce...so he has nothing to gain by this moving into a divorce proceeding. I would have to get a new attorney if spouse files papers.

Trying to remain vague as I hoped for unbiased answers...but if any other significant factors not included, please ask.

To fill in some blanks...been living separately for 2 months (but not legal separation).

We are attempting dissolution, but spouse wanted their own own attorney...so I have mine. As you might guess, our attorneys have vastly different views on how much spousal support the average Ohio judge might award. Just wondered what others with experience might suggest as a 'reasonable' expectation for both % of income, and length of time.

We have agreed on pretty much all other issues...convinced spouses attorney is setting unrealistic expectations on spousal support to prod us into divorce court...where he can collect more fees, knowing we can afford it. My attorney negotiates dissolutions, but will not litigate a divorce...so he has nothing to gain by this moving into a divorce proceeding. I would have to get a new attorney if spouse files papers.

Trying to remain vague as I hoped for unbiased answers...but if any other significant factors not included, please ask.

You have retained a licensed, Ohio attorney.
If you believe that attorney is incapable of representing your interests at trial, hire another licensed, qualified attorney that can try the case for you.
There is nothing anyone can say here that you should consider over the attorney you are currently employing.

You are FREE to speak to three, even three hundred attorneys in your county, until you find one that you believe will best represent you, should the matter go to trial.

It isn't in YOUR best interests to seek anecdotal information on which you base your major life decisions.

That said, I think this thread has played out, and your questions have been answered.

You are best served to continue to remain oblique and vague, but better served to remain silent.
Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back