Failure to Report Personal Property Damage Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevandcher

My husband and I were at the bar a few nights ago and ended up in a huge fight. He left and was walking down the road. I went after him in the car and ended up running into a flowerbed in front of a gas station while trying to go through to turn around. I parked my car down a side street and called someone to pick me up. The next evening, I went back to get my car and found that it had been towed, ironically, to the service station I had done the damage to. There is quite a bit of damage to my car and damage to the brickwork of the flower bed. My insurance company is handling the damage with the gas station and my vehicle, but I was given a citation for failure to report a personal property damage accident. I neither admitted, nor denied to the police that I had been drinking, although they are assuming I was.

I don't have any previous record or a poor driving record. What am I looking at, now? Can any action be taken against my drivers license for this? I know it is somewhat up to the judge's discretion as to the penalty, but am trying to get some idea so I am prepared. Do I need to retain a lawyer? I have never been in any kind of trouble and am quite scared.

Do not tell anyone you had been drinking. As for the rest ... What State?

Michigan. I have found out some additional information, now and I think I am going to be OK. I am being charged with failure to report an accident, not a property damage accidient. After speaking with a couple of lawyers, I understand that there is a big difference. I have called the court to confirm the code number of the offense, just to be sure. It is still up to the judge's discretion, but it sounds like it should only be a fine of $200, or so with no points against my license. It is still a misdimeanor on my record, but I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back