Failure to observe traffic signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplayer

Hello, newbie here by necessity...

I entered an intersection while a light was yellow, it did turn red while I was passing through. A mile or better down the road an officer pulled me over and cited me; in NJ this is a two point moving violation. I said (respectfully of course) that I was sure the light was yellow and that I would slow down and take more care. He said that the light was red for three whole seconds before I entered it, which is completely untrue. Do I just lose because he said so? Additionally, I got the ticket at about 12:15 today, April 28...The court date noted on the back is May 4. I'm supposed to call the court (which is open only until 3:30) at least 7 days before the court date if I plan to contest the ticket. Even if I called from work today it'd only be six days. Isn't it a bit unfair that I have -1 day to decide if I'm going to fight a ticket and then I only have 6 days to organize myself in such a manner to fight a ticket? This is especially important to me as my job (I work in rental cars) will be affected any moving violations. Any advice at all is sincerely appreciated.

Red Light Violation

Do I just lose because he said so? [/QUOTE

Yes. That is the way traffic court works.

Call the clerk of court and ask if you can take traffic school and the ticket not be reported or either a deferment.

When you show up in court you can also negotiate with the ADA for a nonmoving violation. It depends on the normal procedure in that particular court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back