Failure to notify CA DMV of NY move; ticket in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was stopped in NY in September and eventually ticketed for "failure to notify the DMV of address change". I had registered my car in NY as soon as I'd arrived (in May) and tried to get a DL as well, but because my CA one had only recently been issued (in March), and NY requires that 6 months elapse on the CA one before issuing one of theirs, I was unable to get a license and address change with the NY DMV. But apparently, after speaking with NY DMV recently, it was my failure to notify CA DMV of an address change that got me the ticket--the NYS trooper swiped my CA DL and saw that it still had a CA address, not a NY one.

Do I have a case here or should I just plead guilty and pay the fine?

I've done my research and it seems that I don't have a case. But it seems patently unfair for there to be so many little rules, each resulting in hundreds of dollars in fines, that are impossible to keep abreast of unless you or someone you know has run afoul of them. After being informed that I couldn't get a NY DL yet, nobody at the DMV suggested that I should still get an address change with CA DMV. Would that have been obvious to do to you? It just didn't occur to me.

I was stopped in NY in September and eventually ticketed for "failure to notify the DMV of address change". I had registered my car in NY as soon as I'd arrived (in May) and tried to get a DL as well, but because my CA one had only recently been issued (in March), and NY requires that 6 months elapse on the CA one before issuing one of theirs, I was unable to get a license and address change with the NY DMV. But apparently, after speaking with NY DMV recently, it was my failure to notify CA DMV of an address change that got me the ticket--the NYS trooper swiped my CA DL and saw that it still had a CA address, not a NY one.

I've done my research and it seems that I don't have a case. But it seems patently unfair for there to be so many little rules, each resulting in hundreds of dollars in fines, that are impossible to keep abreast of unless you or someone you know has run afoul of them. After being informed that I couldn't get a NY DL yet, nobody at the DMV suggested that I should still get an address change with CA DMV. Would that have been obvious to do to you? It didn't occur to me.

I've done my research and it seems that I don't have a case. But it seems patently unfair for there to be so many little rules, each resulting in hundreds of dollars in fines, that are impossible to keep abreast of unless you or someone you know has run afoul of them. After being informed that I couldn't get a NY DL yet, nobody at the DMV suggested that I should still get an address change with CA DMV. Would that have been obvious to do to you? It didn't occur to me.

The choice is yours.
No one can, nor should they be able to tell you which choice works best for you.
That said, if you're still conflicted, consult a couple attorneys in your county.
The initial consultation is often FREE of charge or obligation.
Its a great way to invest a 15 minutes and get some good information about HOW traffic laws are enforced in your area.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back