Other Criminal Procedure Failure to Appear While Incarverated

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosox1007

Hi and thanks for your help in advance.

I'm working with a guy who is homeless, trying to help him get his license back. When attempting to do so, the DMV said they can't due to a Failurs to Appear warrant. The failure to appear was for a crime that this individual was actually serving time for. He was supposed to appear in court on a date that he was in the state pen, specifically serving time for the crime he was being summoned to court about. I'm not sure how to begin helping him with this? Is a matter of going to the court house and explaining to someone?

I appreciate any help!
Randy

Hi and thanks for your help in advance.

I'm working with a guy who is homeless, trying to help him get his license back. When attempting to do so, the DMV said they can't due to a Failurs to Appear warrant. The failure to appear was for a crime that this individual was actually serving time for. He was supposed to appear in court on a date that he was in the state pen, specifically serving time for the crime he was being summoned to court about. I'm not sure how to begin helping him with this? Is a matter of going to the court house and explaining to someone?

I appreciate any help!
Randy

Good on you, mate, for trying to help others get their lives in order.
You said, "Is a matter of going to the court house and explaining to someone?"

Yes, that will be the easiest solution.
You take, let's call him Mr. Come Back in tow, and off to the courthouse you and he go!
Make sure Mr. Come Back brings PROOF of his incarceration.
The Texas Department of Criminal Justice provides all released inmates with documentation of their stay.
Upon release, all inmates receive discharge papers, bring those along, too.
If Mr. Come Back has his court documents (sentencing related stuff), have him bring them along.
At the courthouse you need to locate the prosecutor that is herding Mr. Come Back's case along.
A phone call beforehand could land you folks an appointment.
Once you get that audience, you discuss what you're trying to do for Mr. Come Back, and how he was unable to attend the hearing, as he was indisposed at the behest of the state.

Let's hope it ends there.

If not, your next step would be to write letters to Mr. Come Back's state elected officials, including the governor.
The DMV executive director is Whitney Brewster.
http://www.txdmv.gov/about-us/whitney-brewster
In the interim, a letter to the director of the DMV couldn't hurt, including the "proof".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back