Fadded tail light?

Monkiman74

Jurisdiction
California
Tonight I cut through a "not so great" neighborhood to avoid some road construction. A patrol car made a right hand turn at s n intersection so that we were driving toward each other. Befor I started to break for the stop the officer had applied hes breaks and was almost to a stop. As I came to my stoo I seen the patrol car make an immediate right turn a block away from the intersection. I figured he was going to pull me over at this time and just proceeded to my destination. I have been in trouble with the law in the past but for the last 10 years nothing, not even a ticket. I do owe back child support and due to nonpayment ( they didnt drop my son till he was 22 although he had worked since begor 18 yo. Old and had lived on his own for 2.5 yrs. And I refused to pay it) have lost my license.

Long to short the reason for the stop was I had a sun bleached tail light. After signing the ticket the officer startef grilling me about people with warrents or the location of drug dealer. He even told me that he could have towed my truck. He was rude in inplying my association with such people. My type of incounter seems to be becoming the status quoe in the area. Harrassment becoming a favorite passtime of the local police. Where can people report this sort of thing who can we talk to about filling a report on the officer? My tail light is more pinkish-red then red and completely intact.Was the stop legal? Can I fight the ticket?

What you describe does not sound like harassment, rather an officer trying to obtain information so he can seek out people more interesting than those with faded tail lights.

If your light is faded to the point it appears white, it is no longer red, green make the necessary repair and there will no longer be a reason to stop you.

If you had no license then you are very lucky the vehicle was not towed. That the vehicle wasn't towed is a good indicator the officer was not trying to give you a hard time and was only fishing for info. A good tip might have even prevented the citation.

Yes, it sounds as if the stop and the citation are legitimate. It's a fix-it ticket. Just make the repair. It's easier and cheaper than trying to fight a losing battle.

If you ever feel you are mistreated then visit the department and make a written complaint about the encounter. If you aren't willing to take the time to put it in writing them don't bother making a complaint.

Back