F1 CPT visa get married with green card holder?

yorn_panha

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
I am a F1 visa student with CPT status, I got married with my wife who is a green card holder. Please kindly help me to give advice the fastest way how can I get green card? She needs to take 3 more years to get citizenship, but next year my F1 visa will expired. What should we do?

I am a F1 visa student with CPT status, I got married with my wife who is a green card holder. Please kindly help me to give advice the fastest way how can I get green card? She needs to take 3 more years to get citizenship, but next year my F1 visa will expired. What should we do?

Marrying a US Citizen doesn't necessarily allow you to advance to the front of the immigration line.

Marrying a GC holder has even less impact.

You need to consult an immigration attorney, as does your wife.
Sponsoring an immigrant carries some extremely onerous implications.
Plus, there are many things that must be proven to USCIS.

You can investigate at USCIS website: www.uscis.gov

Your issue probably revolves around an F2A visa also known as the Family-Based Immigrant Visa.

"Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs."

There is a quota for these F2 family-based visas and the wait time can be significant. The US Department of State warns that:

"In certain categories with many approved petitions compared to available visas, there may be a waiting period of several years, or more, before a priority date is reached. Check the Visa Bulletin for the latest priority dates."

There may be other options but your best bet is to have a consultation with an immigration attorney. Feel free to use our immigration case review to help you find an immigration attorney if you do not have one.

Back