Premises Liability Eye or Back injury while cutting your grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommytx

IF a casual worker comes on your property to for example cut your grass at a private residence and he pick up something heavy and hurts his back or a rock flies up and injures his eye from his lawn mower, is the homeowner responsible? when there is no homeowners insurance..
My experience has been that homeowners has an accident limit of only 1,000 dollars anyway and they normally will not cover anyone other that a visitor..
if the person is cutting your yard, he is working for you and therefore the homeowners insurance will not normally cover him at all...

does that mean that a back injury could cost you your home and all of the income you have saved for your entire life?

Doesn't he have some fault and will need to pay half?

Thanks...

IF a casual worker comes on your property to for example cut your grass at a private residence and he pick up something heavy and hurts his back or a rock flies up and injures his eye from his lawn mower, is the homeowner responsible? when there is no homeowners insurance..
My experience has been that homeowners has an accident limit of only 1,000 dollars anyway and they normally will not cover anyone other that a visitor..
if the person is cutting your yard, he is working for you and therefore the homeowners insurance will not normally cover him at all...

does that mean that a back injury could cost you your home and all of the income you have saved for your entire life?

Doesn't he have some fault and will need to pay half?

Thanks...

My homeowners policy covers invited and uninvited guests on my property, this includes casual workers, electricians, plumbers, the postman, painters, lawn maintenance people, etc...

The limits are what you purchase.

We're insured up to one million dollars for these bizarre situations.

Could it be that you purchased an inferior (or very cheap) insurance product?

You might want to get a quote from some more insurance companies, or up your limits with your own.

Finally, in most states (yours included), homestead laws protect you from being sued such that you lose your home, clothing, automobile, and even foodstuffs.

But, you're also assuming facts not yet in evidence, that even if you're sued; the plaintiff would prevail.

If a worker did something careless or negligent, had defective equipment, was not trained on operating his equipment and was injured; I have sincere doubts that such a lawsuit would ever prevail.

In other words, just because someone gets injured on your property doesn't mean that you're liable for their injuries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back