Extending Child Support

jhjordan123

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hello,

My child support in ending this month based on the terms in the divorce; my child graduated high school and is turning 18.
Under what circumstances can the support obligation be extended, for how long and what process would the custodial parent have to go through to make that happen?

I have read that it can be extended because the child still lives with the custodial parent but, in this day and age 35 year old people live in their parents basement because they don't feel like doing anything. There must be more to it than that but, I get varying explanations on this topic.

Thank You for time.

Normally child support obligations terminate upon high school graduation, or the child obtaining the age of majority, 18.

There are some exceptions.

I suggest you talk to a local divorce attorney about your desires.

I suspect he or she will confirm what I've said, but it never hurts to speak to the horse's north end, as well as his south end.

Under what circumstances can the support obligation be extended, for how long and what process would the custodial parent have to go through to make that happen?

Generally, child support terminates when the child has both turned 18 and graduated high school. If the child turns 18 and hasn't graduated high school, it will continue until the child turns 19 or graduates high school, whichever happens first. In some states (but apparently not Virginia, based on a quick review of google search results), child support can continue well into the 20s if the child is enrolled in college. Every state has some provision for extending child support beyond the age of majority if the child is disabled and cannot be self-sufficient. Merely continuing to live with one parent or another is not a sufficient basis for extending child support. You can get a lot more info by googling.

You and your ex are also free to come to your own agreement about support for an adult child. Follow your agreement as written, but one would hope you would have been having a conversation with your soon to be adult child about continued education, work, living arrangements, and what financial support you intend to provide. Most parents don't cut their kids off cold the day they turn 18; divorced parents are no different.

Back