Criminal Records, Expungement Expungement of misdemeanor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADorris

I was charged with misdemeanor poss. of marijuana in 1977,my only record to this date in the county of San Jacinto,city of Coldspring Texas.I was stopped for speeding but was never issued a ticket, instead the deputies searched my vehicle instantly without warning.They found a small amount of pot and I was jailed for the night. I was denied legal council and threatened to be jailed for 6 months before a trial. Being a young kid of 19 I plead guilty and was put on 6 months probation. They put waived legal council on the document.Also this sheriff`s department was involved in a scandal and was finally busted in the mid 80`s by the FBI.They were stopping people with sports cars or with rock radio station decals.This resulted in a movie and a book "Terror on 59". (Humpy Parker was the rogue sheriff).I just want to get this mis. charge of poss. less than 2 oz. of pot expunged from the record because I`m trying to re-enter the Texas prison system(worked there previously) but their policies have changed to never convicted of a drug related offense.The recruiter did say if I was sucessful in the expungement attempt that could rehire.A local lawyer who wanted$1500 up front said I did not qualify because I foolishly plead guilty.Can I get an expungement or seal the record after 32 years of no other criminal record? Thanking you in advance for any help.

Laws on this may differ by state but in my state, you can have a misdemeanor expunged after 2 years as long as there are no other misdemeanors (or felanies) on your record. In fact, the courts have a form to use so an attorney is not really needed. I had one years back wherein I pleaded guilty and it was expunged. Why don't you Google "Texas misdemeanor expungement rules" and see what the specifics of your state are.

I would'nt worry about it, do a backround check on yourself if its there, then after you apply just explain it to your interviewer they are lean on these charges just have to go through a couple of interviews, try a different company first and see how that interview goes, before going to the job you want, getting a expunge can be costly and it take about a year to do it, first you need to obtain all your records form the court house, then you have to submit all your papers you request for expunge plus 75. to 100. dollars to the DOC so they can approve it, then submit to the courts get a court date and dont miss it. google it for details...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back