Expired immigrant visa: worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npanenl

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello, how is it going?

Well, I'll try to summarize in the best way possible my life story when I lived in Florida and I'm sorry in case of this text becomes so huge. Besides this, I don't want to expose anyone and I hope my English's good for at least this thread.

Many years ago (in 2012), through a Brazilian forum for those who wanted to go to the United States (I don't know if this forum still exists), they told me that I have the opportunity to legally live in the country since my father lives in the country (and he lives to this day, he even has American citizenship). The suggestion came up that I go to high school there, instead of doing it here in Brazil. I just finished high school here. My father would never tell me why he wanted me to go to high school in Brazil instead of in the United States (years later, he would naturally say that it would have been good for me to attend high school in the US...). The stepmother told me that in the region where they lived there were gangs in the schools where I would attend during high school. Well, since I don't know so much, I can't say anything else about it.

Okay, after high school, the whole process started, which was done using the Form I-130 (although I don't know what the exact category of the immigration visa would be), in mid to late 2015, which was made by my stepmother. After a few years, in the second half of 2018 (and I locked up my college course), I passed the interview, received all the documentation (I had to do some exams and get some vaccines), and went to the USA. All is very well.

I lived in Florida for about 9 months, returning to Brazil at the end of September 2019 (I had to fill out a form about address change). I don't want to go into too much detail and I'm afraid it even sounds like a victim (as if I were an aristocrat complaining about my car being a Mercedes instead of a Rolls-Royce), but my biggest problem has always been living with my father, even though I did everything I could, going to live in the United States (against my entire family). Almost every month, I got depressed, with anxiety and the like... who gave me the most strength were my psychologist and myself (I wrote a lot in my "diary" about it), because my father not only helped me a little, but he always scolded me and he would call my mother to complain about me as if I was the worst son in the world. Toward the end of my stay, my stepmother would also sometimes text my mother complaining about me. I didn't get to see these messages, because I think I would feel really bad. I even got my driver's license and managed to sell some things (and go after people to sell what I did), despite not having got a job (although I always ran after one, either online or in-person). Each person proposed a different solution to help me, but I really seemed stuck in my universe and didn't see what was outside of me, nor did they see what was inside me. I don't know for sure, maybe my stepmother was overloaded since even my father didn't help even her. Today they are no longer together. Even though it's gotten pretty bad, I can't be angry, not even at my father. I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome while still in the US. At first, I was quite skeptical about it (the diagnosis was made by a counselor in Florida, through my stepmother), but over the years, I came to accept it.

When I returned to Brazil, I even talked to some lawyers (from Florida) about the issue of my visa expiring. One of them said that since I came to Brazil to finish my degree (in 2022 it will be my last year, or next year because I must finish an internship), it is a good argument to come back and request my return, but the process would cost something around US$ 3,800. Faced with the worsening situation of the Brazilian currency, I have my doubts about how I would go about putting this together, although I have already thought about it with some possible jobs in Brazil. I also had to pay a symbolic debt for an English course of mine (I don't think it's worth detailing, otherwise the topic will be even bigger). With some difficulty and several months (and with the support of my stepmother), I managed to pay off all this debt. Although I don't know if I'll ever return to American lands, I think paying off that debt was important to me.

Faced with this cost of the process, I saw that there are some lawyers in the US who serve people with lower income (I don't know if there is a free lawyer, like here in Brazil), although I haven't spoken with any of them yet. I confess that I do want to go back to Florida, although I don't know how, since living with my father would be difficult, as well as with my stepmother and I would return to the same issues as before. And I also don't know if it would compensate for the costs and process time. Arriving in the country, I will have to work and start taking the subjects to prepare for graduation (I don't know if any Brazilian diploma would be valid there or in another country) and there would have to be strict budget control. I don't know if there would be any scholarships for me. Yes, I have several documents of mine that prove I lived in the US, as well as a bank account, although I can't use it because I don't have an American cell phone number.

My intention is, in the beginning, after finishing my course here in Brazil (Biological Sciences: I'm currently in the 7/8th term), to do another degree to complete the subjects here in Brazil (such as postgraduate), since I am more in the research area, although I am pragmatic and I would accept doing a postgraduate in another country. I particularly like Marine Biology, which I know is available at the FAU in Boca Raton. Currently, I'm doing a term paper about brine shrimp cultivation in the laboratory, since I like also the aquaculture subject.

What can you advise me on this? I may be dreaming too high.

I appreciate your attention and apologize for any inconvenience!

"I was told" means nothing. You need to rely on the law. The current law. Not what someone has told you in the past.

If you want to come here as a student, talk to the schools you are interested in. Nearly every program that has the ability to accept foreign students has an office specifically tasked with making sure the visas are lined up. They can also give you an estimate if you can be accepted into a program there based on your academic record.

If you want to come here outside of that, you may be able to establish residency as a child of a US citizen. Of course, that all depends on whether your father is willing to cooperate and promise to cover your support in the event you can't do so yourself.

All the rest of your history is largely immaterial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back