Expiration of lease, automatic renewal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rentnerschreck

After signing a year long lease agreement back in July 2010 (so running until July 2011), my landlord has never come back to me to get me to sign a renewed lease. I since then assumed that my lease agreement had been converted to a month to month lease.

The lease agreement itself does not state anything about automatic renewal, contain a specific holdover clause, or state what happens in the event that the lease expires.
Now that I was thinking about moving out and told my landlord my intentions to do so, my landlord told me that this won't be possible because I had automatically renewed my lease (I never signed any additional paperwork) and thus could not get out without penalty.
I assume that the state of Rhode Island does not have an implied automatic renewal in all lease contracts unless otherwise stated?

So my question basically is, am I right to assume that after not renewing my lease back in 2011 the agreement automatically changed to month to month and so I am right to terminate my lease with 30 days of notice?

You are month to month since your original lease expired. It does not automatically renew in yearly terms. If the landlord wanted that he should have provided anew lease agreement.
Make sure you give 30 days notice. The landlord might play some tricks with deposit money, but you are not bound by the lease beyond 30 days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back