Experience over Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

listenup77

Question to all, is experience a big issue in preparing a non-provisional application? I mean, there is a standard format that is used. I found this law firm that started out specializing in Trademarks. They are now working with patents and have a limited amount of patent applications they have submitted (maybe about 4-5 in the last year). The lawyer is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and is licensed in California to practice Intellectual Property Law. Because of their limited experience, their prices are half of what others charge. This is a registered law firm. I figure, they know the law and are registered, what can possibly go wrong in writting a utility patent application? What do you think? Would there possibly be a legal issue (meaning, leaving my invention open to being stolen) in having a lawyer with limited experience in patent application writting? The savings are $2,500 plus. Thanks.

listenup77 said:
Question to all, is experience a big issue in preparing a non-provisional application? I mean, there is a standard format that is used. I found this law firm that started out specializing in Trademarks. They are now working with patents and have a limited amount of patent applications they have submitted (maybe about 4-5 in the last year). The lawyer is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and is licensed in California to practice Intellectual Property Law. Because of their limited experience, their prices are half of what others charge. This is a registered law firm. I figure, they know the law and are registered, what can possibly go wrong in writting a utility patent application? What do you think? Would there possibly be a legal issue (meaning, leaving my invention open to being stolen) in having a lawyer with limited experience in patent application writting? The savings are $2,500 plus. Thanks.
Much can go wrong with a poorly drafted patent application. The goal is to protect as much as possible and prevent second comers from approaching your patent. However, don't think that prices are an indication of how well a firm does its work. They aren't. Usually getting a referral is a good way to determine if the person knows what they are talking about. Have you had a consultation with them? Do they seem to really know the technology that you are trying to protect? Have the people there had any prior experience elsewhere in drafting patents? Ask them questions. Interview your potential law firm. If they have too little time to provide you with these answers then you need to question whether they really have the experience. If they don't provide you with much experience anywhere then you also have an issue with this firm. But hear what they have to say... let us know what you found out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back