Execution without Judgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arstine

A while back I moved out of an apartment and left the cable and internet in my name with the understanding that it would be paid. My mistake but I can handle that. A few months ago I get a certified letter for a small claims summons with a collection agency. I contacted the agency and made arrangements with them to cancel the case in court, which they did, and proceeded with my payments to them. All was fine until a couple days ago where I get a letter from them saying "FINAL NOTICE PRIOR TO SHERRIFF'S EXECUTION" and that they are going to submit my information for execution. The letter is also asking for the full amount that my case WAS worth, not taking in to account the payments that I have made and have reciepts for.

My question comes down to how this could be legally possible. There was no judgement and I have made payments to the account, yet they want to collect that money twice. I have searched through the South Dakota laws and can't find anything where items can be taken by the sherriff without a judgement or a lein of some sort and in this case there is neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back