Exceptions to Statute of Limitations on Debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webby

Hi all-

Two questions:

First, are there exceptions to the statute of limitations for debt collection as it applies to education debt? I realize that there is an exception for US Dept of Education-financed loans/ student loan debt, but what about (for example) a small "emergency" loan taken out directly from the University back in 1997 or 1998? The school offered personal loans of up to $200, and is saying I took one out way back when. Or, at least, the collection agency is saying this.

Second, I no longer live in the state in which this occurred. Which state's laws would apply? My current state of Texas, or California (where I attended university at the time the loan occurred)?

Thanks ahead for any assistance in determining if this collection attempt is valid or time-barred.

The jurisdiction would be the state that it happened in.

I would call a lawyer in California and as what the statute of limitations is, 10-12 years would certainly be past that. However, if it was at all considered a student loan, then that may not apply. Also on pretty much any debt collections if they have made contact with you, then the clock starts over. So if they had contacted you a couple years after the fact, and have contacted you other times since, the clock may have started over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back