Ex-roommate wants money

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwb5897

I recently received an email from my ex-roommate stating I owe her $700 for past bills.
Both of our names were on the lease, but all of the bills remained in her name. Several months after we moved in together she quit her job, and had her car repossessed. She ended up living in the apartment for 2 months rent-free before moving out (which I covered in full). I also spent a great deal of money on all household necessities and food. We lived together for 8 months, and she had only chipped in for grocery/household shopping 4 times. She would have parties late at night on a regular basis where her friends would come to the house intoxicated and eat a lot of the food, and on several occasions broke some my glasses (and would leave it - I had glass in my foot for 2 weeks). I typically woke up early before work to clean up. I did not feel safe in this environment, and especially since she a number of strange men stay over regularly. My boyfriend started to stay over more often because of this. After finding out she was pregnant, we finally decided in late April that she would move out and take her name off the lease. One week before she moved, my boyfriend replaced her on the lease. She left her things at the apartment, but refused to return her key. I had to threaten changing the locks for her to come get her things. She came with her older sister who verbally attacked me when they arrived.
I am glad to be rid of this situation, but I don't feel that I don't owe her for these bills with all the money I put out over the months that we lived together (if I had all the receipts - she'd probably owe me $). We did not have any written agreement except for our lease - if she decides to take me to court for the bills, how strong is her case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back