ex manager giving me a bad reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbegum

hi. i need help asap, i used to work for a company for 2 years and then i had personal problems and as a result one day i could not turn up to work and had to leave immediatly, i sent in my resignation the next day through post and 2 months later the company wrote me ending my termination, The only problem is whenever i apply for jobs it seems to be futile, every job i apply for they do not even shortlist me although i have years of experience, i believe my previous manager is giving me a bad reference therefore i am not even shortlisted, what do i do?!

Last edited:
not much you can do since you have no proof at all and no idea why you are not getting this job.

Are you getting called for interviews and then not getting the job, or are you not getting called for interviews?

If you are gettting called for interview but then not getting the job, it MIGHT be that your manager is giving you a bad reference (which is not, in any of itself, illegal as long as what he says is true or his honest opinion. He can legally say that you simply didn't show up for work one day since that is the truth.). However, if you are not even getting called for interviews, it is about 100% certain that your former manager has nothing to to with it. Employers do not call for references before deciding who to interview; no one has the time and resources to do that. They don't call for references until they have done all their interviewing and decided on their top candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back