Personal Bankruptcy Ex husband defaulted on bankruptcy wants me to file again with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

sindarmn

I went through a divorce 2 1/2 years ago and I signed a quitclaim deed to my ex husband for our house. We were in bankruptcy at the time and in our divorce papers he is responsible for the bankruptcy payments. At the end of last year he defaulted on the bankruptcy and now has to go through it all again. My name is still on the title of the house because he had 3 years to refinance and get my name off the title. Now he is telling me that I have to file bankruptcy with him again or all the creditors are going to come after me. I have nothing to do with anything that is in our bankruptcy any more. What options do I have? Do I have to file bankruptcy again? Can the creditors still come after me if I don't file bankruptcy?

If your divorce decree makes him liable for the debts they can not come after you. You have paid your debts "in kind." In other words the Judge decided that you pay this, he pays that. So what you took "paid" what he took. Now it's still going to hurt your credit if he has not gotten you off the bankrupted note.

You could force him to sell it, because refinancing is not going to be an option. You do not have to go into bankruptcy again with him if the judge gave those debts to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back