Ex has been paying child support BUT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPinks

When our divorce was finalized last June, he didn't want to have the state take and record the child support payments because that would be giving up too much control over me. Anyway, he has been paying child support via personal check to me every month like he should. I live in Illinois now and he is still in Georgia, when I moved here, I needed some short term assistance with food stamps and when I applied, I was told that the state of Illinois requires anyone on assistance have their child support collected through the state and then sent to me. Long story short...his first payment to Georgia child support enforcement happened on the 3rd of this month. They re-routed the payment to Illoinois so that I could get it. Looking online at my account in Georgia, they are holding him responsible for all of the months since last June because the support wasn't recorded. I called them and told them that he had paid it, but because Georgia doesn't require the support to go through the system, that it hadn't been recorded legally. They told me that the burden of proof lies on him and that since he is in arrears, he will have his checks garnished and that will be forwarded to me.
I DONT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. My fear is that they will start sending me this money and then later down the road realize that they had made a mistake and I will be the one in trouble.
The clerk that I spoke with told me that the checks that he sent to me could very well be considered gifts from him to me and that he would have to pay that money again. This is nuts. I think that I just need to know what steps I should take to protect myself. Thanks in advance.

He needs the protection.

If a person pays child support under the table, it is a gift.

That is why I advise everyone to pay it through the court or with a court agreement.

He has a big problem.

You don't.

You won't.

Here's an idea.

You can always return any excess money you think he's paid when you get paid.

See, that helps him out!!!

Or, you could take the money and leave him to his own devices for coming up with this idiotic idea!!!!

Yea, you have nothing to worry about as army said its him with the problem. Maybe this will teach him a little lesson to do things the right way. WTG though for not trying to get over on him....many exs would not be so kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back