Ex girlfriend won't leave

M.B.Guzman

Jurisdiction
Florida
I went to high school reunion hooked up with a ex class mate, asked her to move in with me as relationship. Before I did this I told her she had to get job to help me. I am a single father raising my 7 year old son. She agreed to get a job and accept my son as a stepson. She brought her 16 year old daughter with her. I accepted her daughter , bought new bedroom set for her and try to establish a stepfather attitude including driving her to school because she didn't like the bus. Right away I noticed my girlfriend wouldn't speak to my son and left the room when he was present. I repeatly asked her to get a job including offering my car for her job search. For her part she stopped being intimate with me, began getting up at 10: 30 to 11 am, then spending the whole day either on her phone or with the door shut at her daughter's room. Although she orders stuff from the web and it comes in the mail, she never changed her address, I live in florida, she has a house in Puerto Rico and also her license is from PR because she never changed it. She does not help me financially with anything she doesn't clean she eats my food, she moved to her daughter's room. I have been asking her politely for the last four months to move, including offering to help her move to her sister who lives in Kissimmee florida and all she says is , I know I have to leave, I'm working on it., I want to sell this house but I can't because she won't leave, WHAT CAN I DO? Her belongings are in the house , her daughter goes to school but her I'D is from PR, all of this if emotionally affecting my 7 year old who keeps asking me why there is 4 people in the house but only I talk and care for him. This woman won't even empty out the dirty pads she put in the bathroom trashcan.

WHAT CAN I DO?

You can evict her by complying with your state's landlord tenant laws, which you can find by googling "florida landlord tenant laws." The smarter move would be to hire an attorney who regularly handles eviction cases so that you make sure this gets done correctly.

Then, in the future, exercise a helluva lot better discretion when thinking about shacking up with someone you apparently barely know.

You can evict her by complying with your state's landlord tenant laws, which you can find by googling "florida landlord tenant laws." The smarter move would be to hire an attorney who regularly handles eviction cases s
You can evict her by complying with your state's landlord tenant laws, which you can find by googling "florida landlord tenant laws." The smarter move would be to hire an attorney who regularly handles eviction cases so that you make sure this gets done correctly.

Then, in the future, exercise a helluva lot better discretion when thinking about shacking up with someone you apparently barely know.

o that you make sure this gets done correctly.

I actually thought I knew this woman, I went to school with her , then she was a shy little small girl, I know her family including two of my friend from school who married her sisters, they gave me really good references about her, I thank you for your response, it's nice to know there is still good people outhere., stressed in florida.

OK, then never shack up with a woman no matter how well you know her.

I agree that you should be hiring a lawyer for this so things don't get personal where you end up with a restraining order that puts you out of your own house.
Thank you adjusterjack, I will seek counsel, advice appreciated, I will never have a woman living under my roof ever again.

I actually thought I knew this woman, I went to school with her

Well...you said you "hooked up" with her at a high school reunion, and it doesn't sound to me like you'd kept in contact since high school, so it sounds like it was probably ten or more years since you'd had any contact with her. Assuming that you "know" someone who is 28+ years old based on having gone to high school together isn't the most brilliant thing in the world.

Anyhoo...no need to beat you (or for you to beat yourself) up over this. Hire a lawyer to help you out of the situation and learn for the future.

Thank you adjusterjack, I will seek counsel, advice appreciated, I will never have a woman living under my roof ever again.

Don't allow anyone but your spouse, not a fiancé, but a lawfully wedded spouse reside in your home.

The other exception, your minor children.

I don't even allow overnight visitors because I was told what could go wrong by my dad at age 17 and dad never lied to me.

Don't allow anyone but your spouse, not a fiancé, but a lawfully wedded spouse reside in your home.

The other exception, your minor children.

I don't even allow overnight visitors because I was told what could go wrong by my dad at age 17 and dad never lied to me.
I wish I would have known that before, I didn't know about fla laws before, I just moved here last year from Pa, the laws vary there, you can evict anyone not in the deed in thirty days. Thank you armyjudge.

I wish I would have known that before, I didn't know about fla laws before, I just moved here last year from Pa, the laws vary there, you can evict anyone not in the deed in thirty days. Thank you armyjudge.
By the way , a soon as I get out of this, I'm moving back to Pa. I hate florida already, two major hurricanes in 10 months

I agree with the eviction. You could initiate it on your own and have documents served. Sometimes that's all it takes to motivate someone to get it out. You could hire legal counsel along the way if it gets any more messy.
In the mean time stop providing food, dishes, electronic conveniences, toilet paper... Anything else she is mooching. Just don't turn off the electricity, water, or gas and you should be ok.
With less to mooch she may find reason to get out.

Frankly, I don't want someone in my home any longer than I can tolerate them.

If you think 30 days is better, bully for you.

Your home is your castle.

I don't even entertain in my home.

I rent a facility for th rare times I desire to entertain.

I don't want the fruits of years of hard labor demolished or stolen by an unknown fiend, or a fair weather acquaintance.

I agree with the eviction. You could initiate it on your own and have documents served. Sometimes that's all it takes to motivate someone to get it out. You could hire legal counsel along the way if it gets any more messy.
In the mean time stop providing food, dishes, electronic conveniences, toilet paper... Anything else she is mooching. Just don't turn off the electricity, water, or gas and you should be ok.
With less to mooch she may find reason to get out.
Excellent advice

Back