ex-fiance wants half

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston_smith

I recently broke off an engagement with someone with whom I also recently bought an apartment.

Some people are advising her to bleed me dry and sell the apartment in order to claim half of what it's worth.

Every single dollar that was paid for the apartment came from me, though. Half of the money came from my savings and retirement and half was a gift from my parents. She did not contribute anything to the acquisition of this place. In good faith, we both signed the mortgage and half the co-op shares are in her name, so I understand that she legally owns half of the home.

She does not have any money of her own so I have offered to help her move if she signs over the title to me. Again, she is getting mixed advice on what to do and I am starting to worry.

If all the money used to purchase the home came from me, is she entitled to it if we sold the place? Or would my initial investment come back to me and she and I would split any new profit?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
"If all the money used to purchase the home came from me, is she entitled to it if we sold the place? "

You have answered your own question when you stated that you understood she legally owned half of the property. By putting her name on the deed you "gifted" her one half and cannot take it back.

Make an offer to purchase her portion and transfer the mortgage into your name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back